Menu International Law Directions
Hahalis & Kounoupis, P.C. - Greek Law Group
877-509-4333 schedule free Initial Consultation Email the firm
Trusted in the U.S. Trusted in Greece. The Law Firm of Choice for Greek Americans for More Than 25 Years.
  • Super Lawyers
  • AV - Preeminent 2012
  • Select lawyers 2014
  • The Best Lawyers in America
  • The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers
  • L|C|A
  • Million Dollar Advocates Forum
  • The American Society of Legal Advocates
  • ABA - Section of Administrative law and regulatory practice
  • FOCUS EUROPE MAGAZINE | Top International Lawyers
  • AVVO
  • WHO'S WHO LEGAL | WWL Recognised in | Litigation 2016
American-Hellenic chamber of commerce 1932
Greece: The Path From A Great Past To A Great Future
American Bar Foundation

Filing taxes for American and Greek income

Whether you are a Greek-American U.S. citizen or residing here with a green card, you may need to file taxes for income or activity in Greece. You may also need to submit statements for bank accounts outside of the U.S. America requires tax filing for all citizens or green card holders with an income, regardless of where the income originates.

If you are a U.S. citizen living in Greece, earning income in Greece, or with a permanent residence in Greece, and you are above a certain income level, you will need to file taxes in the U.S. For unmarried citizens, this is usually an income higher than $10,300, and for married citizens, this is usually an income higher than $20,600.

If you have a bank account in Greece, you may be required by your bank to fill out and submit a W-9 form.

You are protected from double taxation

Just because you file taxes does not necessarily mean you owe money. It is required so that your earnings are on file and the government can determine where taxes should go or what you owe. However, it is illegal to impose double taxation.

This means that, if you owe taxes in both countries, one amount will be deducted from the other. You never have to pay double the amount of taxes just because you earn money from both countries.

You don't have to travel to file taxes

If you are living in Greece or earning income in Greece and you need to file taxes in America, or vice versa, you do not need to travel out of the country. We can help you with the tax process without the need for travel and assist you in all the paperwork and forms you may need to submit when you file for taxes. Make sure you file by June 15 in the year following the tax return due date.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Hahalis & Kounoupis, P.C. - Greek Law Group
Phone: 610-628-1336
Toll Free: 877-509-4333
Fax: 610-691-8418

U.S. Offices:
20 East Broad Street 
Bethlehem, PA 18018
Map and Directions

New Jersey
1015 New Durham Road
Edison, NJ 08817
(By appointment only)
Map and Directions

Greece Offices:
18 Valaoritou Street
4th Floor
Athens, 10671
(By appointment only)
Map and Directions

10 Ermou Street
Thessaloniki, 54625
(By appointment only)
Map and Directions

Hahalis & Kounoupis, P.C. - Greek Law Group